Frequently Asked Questions

How much is the summer tuition and when is it due*?
Students are responsible for their tuition and fees upon Registration. Tuition charges are assessed based on the number of credits for which the student is enrolled. Undergraduate, graduate, law day, law evening, and medical students have different rates. Other special programs have special rates. For rates of special programs, see the announcements that are published concerning these components of the University's academic program.

For complete updated tuition/fee information click here.

What are the dates for the summer sessions?
• Summer Session A = May 20-June 28, 2019**
• Summer Session B = July 1-August  9, 2019**
• Summer Session C = May 20-August  9, 2019**

InterSessions have special dates (and special refund policies) :
• Summer Session A InterSession: May 11-26, 2019**
• Summer Session B InterSession: June 29-July 14, 2019**

**For the most up to date schedule visit the academic calender.

When can I register?
Registration begins April 8, 2019.

When is payment due?
Students are responsible for their tuition and fees upon Registration.
Payment or arrangements to pay can be made at the Office of Student Account Services, 158 Ashe Building, 305-284-6430. 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Monday through Friday)

Will my financial aid/scholarships pay?
Some financial aid and scholarships do apply. You must verify this with your specific funding source.

If I am currently enrolled in Spring 2019 at UM do I need to fill out an application?
No, you do not need to apply for Summer. You can enroll online through CaneLink or complete an additional course request form with your adviser at the same time you register for your fall classes.

I am not currently enrolled at UM, can I attend summer sessions?
If you meet all the requirements stated in the nondegree-seeking application, you can apply as a nondegree seeking student. If approved for nondegree status, you will be eligible to register for courses. Visit for complete information and online application.

Nondegree-seeking (visiting students) applications take 5 business days to be processed, the deadline to submit an application 5 business days prior to the start of the semester/session.

Nondegree-seeking students are not eligible for on campus housing. For a list of off campus housing available, individuals can use:

How many courses am I allowed to take during the summer?
A full program of study in each Summer Session is 6 credits. Students with a B or better average may request approval from their academic deans to carry an additional class. Students in good standing may normally take a 4-credit laboratory class plus a 3-credit class, for a total of 7 credits. A total of 12 credits may be earned through attendance in the Summer Term.

If I sign up for a course and do not pay or plan to attend the course do I need to drop the course?
Not paying and/or not attending a class does not drop you from your class. You need to academically drop the class online (CaneLink). For a complete withdraw (dropping all classes for the term) a completed Drop/Add form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrars. In order to receive a 100% refund on your tuition charges drops forms must be received/processed before the first day of class.

Refund Schedule and Policy

May I take graduate courses during the summer at UM to transfer back to my home university?
If you qualify, you may take a maximum of 6 credits(life time amount of credits allotted as Continuing Studies Graduate Non-Degree) at UM to transfer back. Visit for application and eligibility requirements. Nondegree-seeking (visiting students) applications take 5 business days to be processed, therefore must be received a minimum of 5 business days before the start of classes to be eligible to enroll in classes.

How do I request a transcript of my courses from UM?
For complete information on requesting a transcript, visit; or call (305)284-2294.