Non-Degree Graduate Status FAQs

When and how can I apply?

Submit a completed Non-Degree application and pay the $75 application fee*. Any additional documents, such as professor permission, may be emailed to

*If you are UM employee (with Tuition remission Benefits) or a dependent, the application fee is reduced.

The professor teaching the course is out of town and unable to sign my application, what can I do?

You may ask the professor to e-mail us at confirming your eligibility to take the graduate level course.

I am out of town and will not return until the first day of class and cannot obtain the signature of the professor what can I do?

You may ask the professor to e-mail us at confirming your eligibility to take the graduate level course.

If I miss a semester do I have to reapply?

If you do not enroll in a major term (Fall or Spring), you will have to reapply at (by completing the non-degree graduate application and paying the $75 application fee).

When is payment due?

Students may pay online through their CaneLink by the semester's payment due date. Questions regarding payments and refunds should be made to the Office of Student Account Services, 158 Ashe Building, 305-284-6430. Hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and until 6 p.m. on Wednesday.

What happens if I do not pay or drop a class on time?

Once you are registered for a semester all changes to your schedule (adds and drops) must be done by completing a Drop/Add form. Not attending or not paying does not drop you from a course. You need to academically drop the course using a Drop/Add form as there are academic and financial consequences for not properly processing a drop request form.

Where do I pay for Tuition?

You may make payment at CaneLinkor in person in the Ashe building at Student Accounts, 305-284-6430.

What are the term dates?

Check the online academic calendars for term dates as well as other important dates during the term.

If I am a UM employee, are the credit courses I enrolled in covered by the Employee Tuition Remission Benefit?

If you are a full-time UM Employee with Tuition Remission Benefits, please visit the below websites for information regarding the benefits (Employees and dependents must meet all admission requirements):

UM Human Resources' Education Benefit Web Page



For specific questions regarding Tuition Remission Benefits, please call Human Resources at 305-284-3004.

What if I want to take more than two graduate level courses?

A maximum of two (2) graduate level courses can be taken as a Non-Degree Graduate student. This is a lifetime credit.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

Non-Degree students are not eligible for financial aid.

Am I eligible for on-campus housing?

Non-Degree Seeking students are NOT eligible for on-campus housing. However, you may find a list of off-campus housing available on the off-campus housing database. For more information please see the off-campus housing website.

I do not know what class to take, can I get advising?

Academic advising is not available for non-degree seeking students.

How can I enroll in classes?

After you have been accepted you may turn in a completed Course Request Form to You may find the form at

How do I get my Cane Card, books, and parking decal?

Students are responsible for obtaining their cane cards for more information call the Cane Care Office at 305-284-3096, books for more information call the UM Bookstore at 305-284-4101 and parking permits for more information call the Parking and Transportation Department at 305-284-3096.

When and How Can I Order Transcripts?

Students may access their grades on CaneLink. Please see the academic calendar to find out when grades will post for the semester you are attending. Official transcripts must be requested from the Office of the Registrar. Students may order a transcript online through their CaneLink account, Please be aware that unofficial transcripts are available for viewing and printing online in CaneLink. Click on “Go to Student Center” under “Academics” choose “Course History” from the drop-down box.

Are Non-Degree Seeking Students Eligible for/Required to have Student Health Insurance?

Domestic students enrolled in six or more credit hours per semester (or considered full time, including graduate students enrolled in a 700/800 level class) are required to obtain adequate health insurance (see exceptions). The annual premium for the health insurance plan offered through the Student Health Service is added to each student's fees. Domestic students with adequate alternative coverage may request cancellation of the insurance fee via CaneLink. Students with limited out of area coverage or otherwise inadequate coverage are urged to carefully review their options before waiving the Student Health Service sponsored insurance plan. Deadlines to waive the insurance are July 25th for the Fall semester, January 25th for the Spring semester, April 25th for Summer I and June 25th for Summer II. 

For complete information please see the Health Center Website located here.